Ugly WoDMod Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rules Permutations and Addendums

Go down

Rules Permutations and Addendums Empty Rules Permutations and Addendums

Post  Zanthoroctu Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Okay, sorry for the delay this is long overdue.

Getting the nitty-gritty here let's get down to specifics.

Rules: I am always open to interesting ideas. That does NOT mean I will necessarily allow or incorporate it from the get-go. I don't what you to be like Superman where the only way to challenge you is to end the world effectively. In short, please run things by me. Especially, spells and to avoid unintentional reality bending. Thank you for your prudence.

Permutations: Okay with the change in setting, taking a leap back to the 50's, fundamentally changes things about the core of the game.

Drive: In the 50's cars were a bit slower. In practice you'll never need more than 2 dots in driving unless doing something particularly fancy. Driving and shooting, for instance. To offset this sort of unintentional nerf, you may use drive to attempt to troubleshoot or identify a problem with or manufacturer a motor vehicle. Your experience with handling them has left you with an innate sense for finding something "off" with a particular vehicle, and being able to pick up acute differences or quirks with varying vehicles. Note: this does not know that your character understands how to fix the mechanical problem.

Example: You find the car of some goons said to be transporting "illegal substances". A search of the goons hiding place turned up nothing. You decide to inspect the car, but don't find anything. After taking a good look at the car, you happen to notice that the wheel basin on this car has been modified from the stock model.

I can elaborate more if requested.

Computer: Well there weren't any computers available for use by the general populace, so this skill is mostly worthless. For the few that are around, Science will be used as the applicable skill (since computers ran solely off of mathematics algorithms at the time, but mostly to keep things simple).

Computer shall be replaced by Telegraphy.

Telegraphy - You have knowledge of and more importantly experience with handling all sorts of devices used for communication, surveillance and reconnaissance.
No dots - You can handle an everyday radio, camera and telephone, but lack the grasp on how the technology works. If the device stopped working you would be at a loss for what went wrong (within reason).
* - You can identify mechanical problems with various devices, and can operate recording and broadcast technology.
** - You can identify problems, and fix them with the appropriate tools and replacement parts. You have an understanding of military reconnaissance tools, and how to optimize performance (adjusting antennae and and such)
*** - You can fix problem with a similar part and can make do with out the proper tools. You can also modify devices to do things they weren't originally meant to do with the correct tools (i.e. bugging a phone). You also no how to impede, reconnaissance or communication technology (finding the right antennae to mess with, the right line to cut for the phone)
**** - You can used "jury-rigged" parts as a temporary solution to make a device function. You know how to defeat most reconnaissance technology (find bug plants, for instance).
*****- You are an expert with just about anything electronic. You can make fully-functional complex devices work, by "Frankenstein-ing" various machines.

Note: These aren't the only things that the ability can be used for. Just general ideas. Though there is overlap with craft to some degree, this pertains more to the expertise of use and maintenance rather than just being able to repair them. Ask any questions on what you could or could not use this for. Also, I'll reserve crafting specialties for what you want your character proficiency to be. Additionally, if something lies beyond your skills you can attempt a chance roll nonetheless.

Equipment : rather than make some very long list of things you can and cannot use, just run any equipment lists or ideas by me. Then we can work things out. I suggest sticking to the armory, and looking at specific weapons that were available post WWII into the 50's (The game starts in the year of 1954, if you need a solid cut-off date).

Exercise : Who loves keeping tracks of bunches of numbers?
Not me. I am going to forgo keeping track of exercise for using your skills. I will award you exerting your talents, but I figure the less numbers we deal with the better.

And lastly, be passionate. Don't be just a set of cool abilities and a stats block. Give your guy some personality, and a bit of background. If you want to be a "gruff hard-nosed drifter" or "bubbly outgoing socialite" do so with aplomb. I always award good RP'ing (don't think to much about that one).

Anywho, well here are the guidelines. I hope I haven't imposed anything too rigid here.

Zanthoroctu

Back to top Go down

Rules Permutations and Addendums Empty Bonus Experience.

Post  Zanthoroctu Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:24 am

Forgot to mention that you will have 7 bonus xp. to work with after initial character creation. This way you can fit in a bit of character advancement, and get any items of magic you might want to start with.

Zanthoroctu

Back to top Go down